– In St.Maarten/St.Martin, we drive on the right side of the road
– When waiting for a red light, you may NOT make a right turn
– Traffic in a round-a-bout always have right of way
Rental cars are authorized anywhere in St Maarten / St Martin, but don’t forget that here we drive on the right side of the road. Certain trails are not suitable for luxury cars and they should be avoided. If you really wish to explore off road trails you should consider renting an all-terrain vehicle or SUV.
St. Martin (French part of the island) does adhere to European rules, which means that seat belts are mandatory, as are car seats for children babies and young kids. Driving with your mobile phone in your hand or to your ear will also result in a hefty fine.
Always wear your seat belts, but be extra vigilant on the French side to avoid any interruptions by the French police.
The minimum age to rent a car varies between suppliers. Next Level Car Rental requires that all drivers must be at least 18.
Vehicular traffic in the roundabout always has the right of way. This counts for both sides of the island.
Please be aware that both capitals of our dual nation have strict parking enforcement. Please use indicated parking areas. Even if you see other people park in areas you may deem as parking spots, they may be restricted or even prohibited. A towed away car is always a waste of money as well as time consuming to retrieve.
Our advice: If in doubt, ask.
– Never leave valuables in your rental vehicle. Not even for 2 minutes.
– Please drive cautiously.
– St. Maarten people are very courteous and give other drivers a break to enter or leave the traffic stream and so may stop abruptly without apparent cause.